"My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" - The Awesome Truth From Christ's Last Words

"And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?' which is, being interpreted is, 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?' . . .  And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost."
- Mark 15:34, 37
The last words of Christ dying on the cross are disturbing to many. They look and say, "See? Even Jesus despaired in that great hour," or "See? Even Jesus felt like God had abandoned Him." No doubt, the travail of the crucifixion would be enough to break even the best of us, however, there is a more likely, and I daresay, a more encouraging understanding on these pained words. 

First, some cultural context
Back in first century Jewish culture, and even in some communities in the present day, it was the standard practice of all children to memorize Scripture, that is, the Old Testament. Scribes and scrolls were scarce in those days - not everyone had more books than they know what to do with. Instead, these things were memorized and rehearsed orally. As a result, even the commoner had certain passages memorized, even if without understanding. The Rabbis, particularly the Pharisees, who crucified Jesus, had practically the entirety of Scripture committed to memory.
So, why is all of this relevant?

It just so happens that the words Jesus gasped are the exact, word for word, verbatim, first verse of PSALM 22. Psalm 22 is a song of David which happens to contain several Prophecies of Messiah that were being fulfilled EXACTLY AT THAT MOMENT that Christ uttered it. So, more than likely, Jesus was engaging a pneumatic device, or a "memory helper" to jog the memory of the hearers, so they might realize the implications of the events they were witnessing.
For example, if I said  "A B C D," the hearer would almost involuntarily follow in their mind with "E F G", and so on. If I started with "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," you might find your mind finishing it with "How I Wonder What You Are." Such is the way with things that are committed to memory in a deep, instinctual way. And such was the way with Psalm 22. I believe Christ had hopes they might hear, see what is going on, and BELIEVE, as they saw it right in front of them.


What Prophecies? 
(Lets Explore, in order of appearance.) (I will enlarge the most dramatic ones.)
1. "But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him." v. 6-8.
These verses plainly describe how people were treating Christ at the time. They scorned, laughed and shook their heads. Matthew even records one comment, "He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him." (Matt. 27:32)

2. "But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly. v.9-10.
These verses demonstrate the "Sonship" of Christ, the closeness of relation to God, and may even imply the Incarnation, which is shown so clearly in other prophetic verses.

3. "The assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet." 

At the very time Christ was pierced and hung on the cross, He drew their attention to the prophecy about it. Even more remarkable, this proclamation by David describing the nature of crucifixion was made a full 800 years before the Roman Empire even invented it.

4. "They divide My garments among them and cast lots for My clothing." 

When Jesus spoke the first verse to this Psalm, this is exactly what was occurring. The soldiers, knowing a dead man needs no clothes, cast lots. "And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, 'They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.'" (Matt. 27:35)

 5. "The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. . . A seed shall serve Him; it shall be spoken of God to the coming generation. They shall come, and shall declare His righteousness to a people that shall yet be born, that He has done this." v.26-27, 30-31
These last verses show the conclusion of the matter. Because of this momentous event of the crucifixion, those who humble themselves before the Lord shall be satisfied and live forever. All nations shall hear of it, and it will be spoken of from generation to generation, to people not yet born, the Lord has done this thing. In this one Psalm, Jesus manages to communicate the summary of the Gospel, and bring tremendous attention to what was occurring that day.

In light of the fact that Jesus said these words, which happen to be exactly verse 1 of Psalm 22, which happens to communicate things that were occurring in that very moment, it seems to me that this was no mere accident, or expression of sorrow. I have heard entire doctrines built around how God had to depart from Him because the sin of the world was on His shoulders at that time, and since God cannot bear sin, He was left to suffer alone. It may sound theologically interesting, but to me, I find this explanation not only more plausible, but far more inspiring as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non-Violence in the Early Church: Complete Quote List

Should Christians Abandon Christmas?

Was the Priesthood that Crucified Christ Illegitimate?